***This review is not sponsored. Everything written is my own opinion, and if you are to use this product remember YMMV.
Due to the fact that I have oily, acne prone skin, in the past I would completely neglect the moisturizing step of my routine. I thought that if a moisturized my skin it would become oilier, but now I know it’s the complete opposite. Due to the kbeauty routine I have adapted over the last year, my skin has done a complete 180 and I have grow to love and appreciate creams and lotions. Now during the day I like to use an emulsion, a light cream, before I apply my sunscreen. I am still wry of which creams I use because I still breakout easily, but I have found a few gems that really get the job done. One of the emulsion that I have loved the most, is the Zymogen Houttuynia Cordata Ferment Lotion. This lotion claims to help control sebum, deeply moisturize, and smooth skin through the use of Houttuynia Crordata Thuberg, which is an extract used in traditional Korean medicine. When I was first looking into this product a few months ago I had a hard time finding any reviews on it, so I thought I should write one myself.
(Click on pictures to zoom in)
Here are the magical ingredients:
- Sunflower Oil (Helianthus Annuus Oil)- this is a plant oil that is known to have anti-inflammatory properties and to help repair the skin’s barrier.
- Sophora Japonica Flower Extract- is a plant extract that has moisturizing properties.
Rice Ferment Filtrate- this has moiturizing properties.
- Centella Asiatica Extract- this is a plant extract that is an antibacterial and is good at helping heal wounds, which is helpful for those with acne.
- Licorice Root Extract (Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract)- this is a plant extract that is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and it supposed to help fight against acne-causing bacteria.
**Paula’s Choice Ingredient Dictionary used as a reference**
Here are the cursed ingredients:
- Butylene Glycol is a low rated potential irritant.
- Laureth-4 is a high rated potential irritant.
- Laureth-23 is a high rated potential irritant.
- Dimethicone is a low rated potential irritant.
For the full list of ingredients and analysis, click this link.
How to use:
What Zymogen says to do:
**taken from Wishtrend, as the instructions on the packaging are in Korean**
- Cleanse your face.
- Then, put it gently on your face.
Pretty straightforward, right? lol
What I do:
- Cleanse, tone, and treat, then as the last step of your routine apply to skin.
- I use about 2 to 3 pumps as the consistency is very liquidy.
- **If using during the daytime, make sure to apply sunscreen afterward!**
How it worked for me:
This is one of the best emulsions I have ever used. It was perfect for using during the daytime and for layering it underneath sleeping packs or heavier creams at night. My skin instantly drank up this emulsion and felt immediately smoother and moisturized. I never felt like this emulsion was too heavy and it never made my skin feel oily. If anything it helped to keep some of the oil at bay, as it helped to keep my moisture level balanced. Also, this product never once broke me out and was actually helpful in healing my acne. And for those of you that where makeup, it layered nicely under BB cream without pilling. Overall, I think this emulsion is an absolute delight to use and I highly recommend it for oily, acne prone skin as well as those with sensitive skin who may get the occasional breakout.
- Contains many skin healing ingredients
- Leaves skin feeling very moisturized all day/all night
- Doesn’t leave skin feeling oily
- Doesn’t break me out, if anything it helps to heal my acne
- Layers well under makeup, sunscreen, sleeping packs, etc.
- Consistency is very liquidy, so you end up using more product
- Can be a bit pricey
- Contains alcohol, which can be a problem for some
- 1-Bad, had a reaction, would not buy again
- 2-Did not work
- 3-Worked, but nothing special
- 4-Great product, but has the potential to be replaced
- 5-Holy Grail, it’s the cat’s meow!
This emulsion is absolutely fantastic and I think more people should definitely give it a shot!
Where you can purchase it:
Wishtrend for $24.50
Jolse for $24.63
RoseRoseShop for $14.76
Be sure to check out our coupon code page for discounts on some of the sites listed above!